Friday, April 20, 2007

NBA Playoff Preview: The Least Of The East

Yesterday we went over the Western conference matchups. Today, the Eastern conference preview, brought to you by the letter Q. (I don't know why... just sounds good)...

EAST

(1) Detroit Pistons vs. (8) Orlando Magic – Ladies and gentleman, I present your obligatory first-round sweep. The Pistons manhandled the Magic in the regular season, winning all 4 games. No reason to stop there. Chalk up a quick four more wins for the Motor City Bad Boys. Only way the Magic steal a game is if the Pistons let Isaiah Thomas come back to coach his old team for a game. Ouch. Yeah, I said it.

Prediction: Pistons in 4.

(2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs. Washington Wizards – The only thing keeping this from a second first-round sweep is the Cavs' amazing ability to completely go in the tank at random times. I'm guessing it'll happen once this series, handing the Wizards a gift home win. But without Gilbert Arenas or Caron Butler, the Wizards' chances are slim and none, and slim just legally changed his name to No Way In Hell.

Prediction: Cavs in 5.

(3) Toronto Raptors vs. (6) New Jersey Nets – Wake up! Sorry bout that, but if you're like me, just looking at this match up is enough to make you doze off. But I digress. The Raptors like to run. That's how they win. Problem: Kidd & company can run with the best of them.

I think T.J. Ford is a bona fide All-Star in the making at the point. But he's about to get a hard lesson in post-season ball from one of the best in the biz in Jason Kidd. Chris Bosh is already a superstar. Nets won't stop him. Sadly, same can be said on the other side for Vince Carter and my fellow Wildcat alum Richard Jefferson. Toronto has no one who can D these guys up and it'll show.

Throw out the seeds, Nets are too tough a match up for the boys from America's neighbor to the North.

Prediction: Nets in 5.

(4) Miami Heat vs. (5) Chicago Bulls – Maybe it's something with the number 5 that sucks me in, but I think both 4 seeds will be watching the second round from the couch.

Hard to pick against the defending champs, especially with their boy D-Wade back, but I love this Bulls team. I have all year. They're young. They're fun. And they are just the kind of team to put a little extra umph into those screens for Wade and his bum shoulder to try and run through.

Remember, the Bulls played the Heat tough last year, and that was without someone like Big Ben to match up against Shaq. This will be the most entertaining and competitive first-round series. Look for it to go the distance.

Prediction: Bulls in 7.

So that's it for the first round, if you're headed to Vegas, feel free to print this out and take it sheet with you. I won't hold it against you. Hey, I'm here to spread the love.

And since I'm in a good mood today, a little bonus action…

Spurs beat the Mavs in the West.
Pistons trounce the Nets in the East.

In a rematch of the 2004-05 Finals, the Spurs will battle the Pistons for NBA supremacy. In the end, it's another ring for the boys from the Alamo city. Spurs in 7.

Hey, I told you I'm a fan. Go Spurs Go!

No comments: