Monday, April 30, 2007

Who Cares About Brady Quinn?

Fun weekend in sports. And while I'd love to sit and recap it all for you (since that’s just the kind of guy I am), instead I offer but a few nuggets on some things that caught my eye...

NFL Draft – First off, LOVED the Bears draft. Getting the #1 TE at 31 was a steal and a blessing. For anyone who watched the success the Bears had early on last season, you know Desmond Clark was a huge part of the offense. Now we get a guy who can stretch the middle of the field even more – couldn't have asked for a better pick. And I'm glad Jerry Angelo and crew didn't buy into the "Trade Up For Brady Quinn" crap. We have a QB (Yes, I stand by Rex). We had much more important needs and we addressed them…

And what a nice segue into the aforementioned Mr. Quinn (hey, every other sports column in the galaxy is talking about him, so why can't I?). I'll be brief. I can totally see Miami passing on him at 9. I don't think he's a sure-fire stud in the making like many are saying. But, taking Teddy Ginn was just dumb. When former Buckeye teammate A.J. Hawk was asked to comment on Ginn's pro potential, his ringing endorsement was "He's tiny."

That ain't good.

And if Miami thought they were drafting the second coming of Devin Hester, they’re in for a rude awakening. There’s only one DH baby! Hey, how many guys you know ran the opening kickoff back for a TD in the Super Bowl? Exactly.

The Pats Get Randy – A rolling stone might not gather Moss, but apparently the New England Patriots do. You could’ve given me 20 guesses at where Randy would end up and New England would never have been one of them. I can’t wait for the first time the Mossanator quits on a route or complains to Tom Brady he’s not getting the ball enough. Talk about the new odd couple! I guarantee Moss is gone from the Pats by next year. He just doesn’t care and Belichik and Brady just do. ‘Nuff said.

On the complete flip side of that is the Niners absolutely stealing Darrell Jackson from Seattle. Great move by the up and coming (and NFC West champs to be – just watch!) Niners. Yes he has the dropsys every now and then. No he won’t be winning any iron man awards for endurance. But he’s a proven wideout on a team whose #1 last year was Antonio Bryant. Still want to say it was a waste of a trade? Look out for the new Young Guns from the Bay in the NFC.

Holy Freakin’ Warriors – Like I said last week, if the Mavs went down 3-1 to Golden State, they were toast. Well Margaret, break out the butter and the jam and spread it on thick, because Dallas’ season is over. I don’t know how far the series will go and frankly I don’t care. But after watching Golden State outrun, outhustle and outeverything Mark Cuban’s boys, there is no chance Dallas wins the next 3 in a row. Won’t happen. Congrats to the Nellie and the boys. And good for their fans – that game on TV was the loudest rowdiest fans I’ve seen in a long time. I think they beat Houston or Utah, regardless of who advances. That’s where this feel good story ends. Phoenix or San Antonio (assuming we go up 3-1 tonight like we should) will mop the floor with the Warriors – although, admittedly, Suns/Warriors would be a fun series to watch. Yeah, maybe in 2042 boys. GO SPURS GO!

No comments: