Thursday, August 16, 2007

Here Come The Cardinals (Boooooooooooo!)

Is Jay Cutler the next John Elway? Who is about to be crowned the next NFL MVP? And which team will finish with the league’s worst record (here’s a hint: it rhymes with Balcons). For all these answers and more, check out my SEVEN BOLD NFL PREDICTIONS FOR 'O7 at Sports Central.

Here’s what else is in my brain fighting to get out...

If you would’ve told me before the season started the Cubs would be .5 games out of first place on August 16, I would’ve been a happy man.

And actually, I’m not too worried about catching the Brewers. In fact, I think it’s a forgone conclusion. The team most likely to come between Chicago and a division title – those freakin’ St. Louis Cardinals.

Written off for most of the year, the Redbirds now found themselves just 2.5 games out of first and 2 games behind the Cubs. Oy.

To be honest, I’m not sure how they’re doing it. As opposed to years past, their lineup is anything but scary from top to bottom. Their rotation includes guys named Looper, Pineiro, Wells, Wainwright and Reyes. And I don’t care what the stats say, I’ll bet against Jason Isringhausen any day of the week.

But having said that, in the last 8 games, those starters I just mentioned are 7-1 with a 1.64 ERA. Ugggggh.

I’m chalking it all up to the Rick Ankiel factor. Although Josh Hamilton can’t be happy Wild Thing Ankiel is stealing all of the “feel good story” headlines.

Who would’ve thunk it?!?

The Cards come in to Wrigley for a four-game set beginning on Friday. I’m gonna say winner of this series wins the division. If it’s a tie, all I can do is continue to rub my lucky wishbone and pray for the best.

Oh by the way, the Brewers begin a streak of three straight series on the road. They’re 23-36 away from home this season.

They’re about to collapse. Just watch.

...

It’s only preseason, but ladies and gentlemen, we have our first NFL Stat of the Day.

The Dolphins and the Chiefs (“That’s great man, but who are the Chefs?) played an absolutely meaningless preseason game on Thursday night.

And besides Phil Dvorak being stoked for an 11-10 win over Ellner’s Chiefs, this game was significant for one reason.

And it wasn’t because the Chiefs through their first preseason TD pass since 2005 (true story), but it was because no regular season or postseason game in the history of the NFL has ever ended 11-10. Ever.

How ‘bout that.

...

And finally, with Aaron Cook placed on the DL just minutes before Thursday night’s game against San Diego, my fantasy baseball season is all but over, thanks to Seth Doria of Left Calf fame.

This was a must-win for the Holy Cows. And before you even say it, yes I realize if I’m relying on Aaron Cook to save my season, it was probably lost long ago.

Thank God football is right around the corner… I’m in two leagues and I have the 8th and 9th picks respectively.

Hoping for the same guy in each. And guess what, I’m not afraid to reveal who I’m hoping for with my first pick, even though I know my fellow league mates read this blog…

Here it is… you ready?

I want Rex Grossman!

He’s headed to the Pro Bowl. Just remember, you heard it here first.

Go Bears!

No comments: