Monday, July 30, 2007

Cub Fans Singing A New Tune

There’s a new song sweeping the nation… well, at least Cubs nation.

It’s “GO CUBS GO” by the one and only Steve Goodman! (don’t worry, I’ve never heard of him either). But the song rules! They play it inside Wrigley after every Cubbies victory.

Forget “New York, New York.” I wanna be a part of “GO CUBS GO!” Check it out. Good sh*t.




Speaking of the Cubs (and BEAR with me here)… Ok, as of right now, the Cubs are 55-49. I’m not ready to crown our asses just yet (I’ll let Denny Green do that), but optimism is abound on the North side of the Windy City. And while a lot of fans of other teams might not make a big deal out of being 6 games over .500, here’s the stat…

Last year, we didn’t get our 55th win until September 1.

After losing to the Phils on Monday night, we’re 1 game behind Milwaukee for first place. Look, I’ve been living and mostly dying with the Cubs for the better part of 30-plus years now and I can count all the times I’ve been able to say anything close to “1 game out of first” this late in the season on one hand. So yes, I’m going to celebrate it and I’ve been saying it all along – the Brewers are extremely talented, but also very young.

And as all young teams do, they will hit a slide. It’s not IF, it’s WHEN. The Cubbies just have to hope we can take advantage of it. It’s no stretch to think just-above-.500 ball from here on out takes home the division.

GO CUBS GO!

...

And hey, while we’re on the subject… has anyone else noticed that after a horrendous start, Carlos Zambrano leads the majors in wins?

After a 3-3 start with a 5.88 ERA, Big Z has given up more than 3 earned runs only once in his last 11 starts.

And if that’s not enough, here’s how good Zambrano was on Sunday against the Reds…

Not only did he pitch 7-plus shutout innings leading us to a win, he also out hit Cincy by himself… 3-2.

Michael Barrett, your “Thank You” card is in the mail.

...

Meant to write this yesterday, but it’s never too late to recognize excellence.

A big congratulations to Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr.

How fitting is it these two guys are enshrined in Cooperstown on the same day? I can’t think of two other guys who played the game with the professionalism at such a high level for such a long time. Too bad consistency is boring or more up and coming players might emulate these two living legends instead of guys like McGwire and Sosa.

Props to Tony & Cal.

...

I think today is a good day for a trivia question…

Which two pitchers gave up home runs to both Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds during their careers?

Answer at the bottom…

...

And lastly, me and Shell attended a taping of NBC’s “Last Comic Standing” over the weekend. Good stuff. Although the taping is way ahead of the episodes they’re airing, so it was a little bit of a spoiler.

We got to see a challenge round – the short little British kid who looks like he’s 12 vs. the large white girl with the long brown hair.

Both were really, really funny. We like both contestants so it was tough to vote against one of them. As it turns out, Shell and I each voted for the other contestant, so we canceled each other out. How ‘bout that.

The episode airs in about 2 weeks… will be curious to see if we made it on air. Cameras were all around us. Shouldn’t be too hard to spot me… I’m the guy drinking the free beer sitting next to the prettiest girl in the place. Damn Shell looked good!

...

Trivia Answer – Frank Tanana and Rick Reuschel. Good one, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that after living with you for some time now she even finds anyone else funny.

If the Brewers are going to slide because they are young does that mean the D-Backs will too? Gawd I hope so. I hate that team so much that I couldn't even root for my 5 yr old's T-ball team (Diamondbacks with that god awful purple and teal). I always found myself rooting for the other team...poor kid. Someday he will understand.