Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mid-Season Awards: National League

First off, ALOHA and M’AHALO my friends!

I’ve just returned from my first trip to the islands of Hawaii. And after a week in beautiful, serene Kauai all I can say is it’s so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend it.

(Thank you Ferris)

But enough about me, let’s talk about sports. After all, I assume that’s why you’re here. I started writing this before I left but caught an early case of island fever and never finished, so let’s pick it back up. And actually, a week or so removed, some of my picks have changed. Who knew?!?

It’s my mid-season MLB awards. Today we’ll do the NL. Later this week, the AL.

So without any further adieu…

MVP: Prince Fielder – Does anyone think the Brew Crew would be having this kind of success without him? The husky hitter already has two more homers (30) than he had all of last year… and he’s done it in 230 less at bats. Prince also wins the award for biggest bargain, as he’s making only $410,000 this season. Not bad for the league’s HR leader.

CY YOUNG: Jake Peavy – Admittedly, I had given the nod to Brad Penny when I wrote this 4 days shy of the All Star break. Funny how two weeks can change your mind. Both guys have made 18 starts (15 quality starts each), but Big Jake has more Wins, Ks, less hits given up and a lower ERA. Plus, after giving up a total of 5 Earned Runs in 5 consecutive starts, Penny got lit for 6 earned in his last start, raising his ERA by nearly half a run. Peavy the Padre wins.

ROY: Ryan Braun – I hate the co-winners, but if there was ever a case for it, this might be it between Braun and Hunter Pence. But if I haven’t mentioned it, I hate co-winners. So I’m going with Braun. In only 172 at bats, the Brewers 3B already has 13 HRs, 36 RBI, 38 Runs and 8 SBs. Oh, and he’s only hitting .348. If he had enough at bats, he’d be leading the NL in average. Project that out over a little less than a full season (500 Abs) and you’re looking at about 40 HRs, 110 RBI, 115 Runs and 25 SBs. That’s a season most vets would hang their hats on any day… let alone a rookie.

MANAGER OF THE YEAR: Grady Little – Here’s another category I have to change my pick on. Two weeks ago, Bud Black’s Padres were sitting atop the NL West with the league’s best record. Now, not so much. Instead, I’m actually giving the nod to Little. I wouldn’t want the guy managing my team ever, but the Dodgers are now the owners of the NL’s best record and LA has a winning record at home, on the road and against every other division in the league (the Braves are the only other team that can say that). Aside from the surprising Russell Martin, look up and down the Dodgers lineup and show me a single hitter that scares you. Keep looking, you won’t find one. They’ve won the way you’re supposed to – pitching and defense. And for that, Grady is my guy. Although I’m keeping this spot warm for Lou Piniella when it’s all said and done and the Cubbies take the division.

BIGGEST SURPRISE: Francisco Cordero – Show me the man who predicted Coco would lead the majors with 28 saves at the break and I will show you a fantastic liar or a complete idiot. But for all the reasons the Brewers have been solid so far, Cordero is just as important as any of them, having converted 28/30 save chances. As a Cubs fan, I’m very much looking forward to his inevitable meltdown down the stretch.

BIGGEST BUST: Andruw Jones – Uh, what the hell happened to Jones? Entering a contract season, most projected a monster year for AJ. Coming out of the break, although he’s got 17 HRs, he’s sporting a .211 batting average and has struck out 88 times. Yuk. Anytime you hit .302 over the last 14 games coming into the break with 6 HRs during that stretch and these are the numbers you’re sitting on, that’s no good. Did I say yuk?

TEAM TO BEAT: Mets – I hate to say it since aside from the Cardinals, there’s no team I enjoy watching fail more than the Mets, but come playoff time, with that lineup, there’s no team I’d rather avoid more. Pitching has been surprisingly adequate thus far and with Pedro due back before the playoffs, it can only make matters worse for opposing teams.

Ok, that’s all I’ve got to say on the Senior Circuit so far. Got your own choices? Send ‘em along so I can subject you and your picks to public ridicule!

No comments: