Friday, March 16, 2007

There's Always Tomorrow...

A funny thing happened on my way to a perfect bracket… they actually decided to play the games instead of just sending teams home based on my picks.

Who knew?!?

I hit 22 out of the 32 first round games. Yuk.

As opposed to your typical storybook March Madness opening round, so far the thing that’s busting people’s brackets is the upsets… or lack thereof.

Want proof? Only 2 double-digit seeds are still alive (#11 VCU and #11 Winthrop).

In fact, the seedings held true in all but 5 games -- and with 3 of those “upsets” being 9 seeds over 8 seeds, those are anything but true upsets.

So while the top seeds found mostly easy going in Round 1, don’t be shocked if things change in Round 2.

Looking at this weekend’s match ups, I see 8 out of 16 games where the lower seeded teams have a legit shot to knock off the higher seeds favorites.

It wouldn’t be a shock to see VCU send Pittsburgh packing. VCU is undoubtedly still on the emotional high of their last second victory over Duke and Pitt is one bad Aaron Gray day away from watching the rest of the tourney on TV like the rest of us. I think Mr. Maynor leads his team to another upset.

And anyone who watched the Memphis/North Texas game knows that game was much closer than the 15-point victory on the game sheet would indicate. Memphis had no business letting a pseudo-Div II school come within 30. If they rest on the laurels of their 30-3 record one more time, Nevada will send Coach Cal’s kids on their merry way. Not sure what it is about the Wolfpack, but they just seem like a team that can make a run… and I think they do just that.

But my sure-fire, lock-it-in, bet-the-house, car-and-even-the-wife if-you-have-to upset:

VANDY BEATS WAZZU.

Watch.

Having said that…

As bad as I did in the first round, luckily all the teams I had wrong, I had losing in this next round. As a result, I’m not changing A THING in 3 of the 4 regions for my 2nd round predictions.

MIDWEST –Florida, Wisconsin, Butler and Oregon advance.

EAST –UNC, Texas, Vandy, Georgetown. Next.

SOUTH – OSU, Vols, A&M, Nevada punch their ticket to next round.

WEST – I screwed this region up something fierce in my first round predictions. Let’s see if I can atone for my sins… Kansas, VaTech, VCU and UCLA move on.

So there you have it.

If you’re like my boy Matty and you took my first round predictions to Sin City in hopes of hitting pay dirt and you now find yourself playing the nickel slots at O’Sheas, I promise I’ll make it up to you this round.

And if not… hey, there’s always the Sweet 16!

Gotta love the madness.

No comments: