Saturday, October 6, 2007

It's All Come Down To This...

Well, this is it. It's all or nothing. Now or never. Do or die... yada, yada, yada.

After laboring through 164 pain-staking games, there literally is no tomorrow for the Chicago Cubs. It's win or go home.

The first two games couldn't have gone any worse and I find it hard to imagine there were any bullshit moral victories Lou and his staff could shine the spotlight on in the clubhouse.

What's most worrisome is I went all year without questioning Lou's decisions. Now, two games in to the postseason, that's all I'm doing.

He pulled Big Z too quick.
He left Lilly in too long.
And why on God's green earth would you bat the strikeout-prone Jacque Jones in the 2 hole in Game 1 over a contact machine like Ryan Theriot?

I don't even know what to say about the D'bax. How a team without a .300 hitter, without a guy with 100 RBI, and with a staff that includes Doug Davis and Livan Hernandez as your 2 and 3 guys, respectively, finishes with the best record in the NL is absolutely mind-boggling.

If I hear "Anyone, anytime" once more, I may spontaneously combust leaving my fiancee and my TV covered in a bloody mess.

And if sitting through two equally excrutiating games wasn't enough, TBS is all about pouring a gallon of Morton's in the wound.

Someone should put Dick Stockton out of his misery. Like it's not enough he butchers people's names, he actually at one point called us The Cowboys.

The Cowboys? That's not even the right sport dagnabbit!

Oh, and I also now officially hate Dane Cook and Frank Caliendo.

Before Game 1, I considered both guys at the top of their class when it came to the comedy game. Now, if I have to sit through one more promo of "Good Luck Chuck" telling me there's only October or one more of Frank's impersonations, I'm flying to Atlanta and pulling a Richard Jewel on the TBS studios.

Hmmm... maybe that was a tad too harsh. Oh well, moving on...

Ninety minutes and counting until the fate of Cub nation begins to unfold. I'm more nervous about Rich Hill taking the mound than what our bats will do against Livan.

Experience is priceless, and that's the one thing Livan has going for him -- it may be the only thing.

Need the Big 3 to show up in a big way. If Soriano, D-Lee and Aramis are only noticeable by their offensive absence, it's time to start planning those vacations boys.

Wrigley will be nuts. I can't help but thing the fans alone may get us out of our rut. Let's get this one under our belts.

Than I can re-type this whole blog before tomorrow's game!

GO CUBS GO!!!!!!!!

No comments: