Thursday, May 31, 2007

I Am A Witness

Ok honestly, I haven’t watched a whole lot of Cavs games this year. I mean, it’s the East. Who cares.

But I turned on the Cleveland-Detroit game with about 30 seconds left in the 3rd quarter in what was a tie game…

And what I saw is the stuff legends are made of.

LeBron James completely took over that game and single handedly willed his team to their most important win of the season.

Fade aways. Cross overs. Threes. Strong drives. All of it. Anything LeBron wanted to do, there was nothing the Pistons could do to stop him. Not with one guy. Not even with a double team.

Here’s the numbers: James finished with 48 points on 18/39 from the field. Impressive, but that’s not the half of it. The dude scored 29 of Cleveland’s last 30 points in the 4th quarter and both overtimes… and scored the team’s last 25 straight.

Read that again… with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter and in both overtimes, LEBRON JAMES SCORED 29 OF THEIR FINAL 30 AND THE TEAM’S LAST 25 POINTS. By himself. No one else.

That means once the Cavs hit 79 points, only 1 guy scored 1 point besides LBJ until they finished with 109 points.

I have watched a lot of hoops in my day. I’ve seen Jordan at his prime. I’ve seen Magic and Bird at their peaks.

I’m not saying LeBron is better than the 3 guys I just mentioned (he’s not), and each of those guys have put together better overall games than what James did on Thursday, but I have NEVER seen one player completely take over the game for that long of a stretch, let alone in a crucial game like that.

And I’m not getting carried away here already anointing this guy the second coming, after all this is the same guy who completely vanished from the court in the fourth quarters of Games 1 and 2 when Detroit won by 3 each time. And hey, why wasn't he this good in college?!?! Oh, my bad.

But to top off his historic performance (and whether you like the guy or not, it was most definitely that), when Craig Sager and his Technicolor dream coat caught up with James on the court after the game, as James stood there barely able to breathe looking like he was about to collapse, when Sager asked how he did it, all of Bron Bron’s answer involved one important word – “We.”

Good for him. I like that. Most of the other guys in the league should take notes. Maybe now, Scott Van Pelt will give Bron his chair back!

For the record, I’ll be rooting for Cleveland in the next game. Not because they deserve it (like I said, this is the East, who really cares), but for one simple reason – the Spurs matchup a whole lot better with them than we do with Detroit.

We can beat the Pistons. We’ll trounce the Cavs. GOSPURSGO!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roads... Where we're going we don't need roads.

Anonymous said...

I don't mean to "cuss", but Billy Donovan is a Jackass.