Monday, May 14, 2007

Weekend Roundup (5/14/07)

Before I get started on the weekend that was in sports, I have officially declared the Dallas Mavericks as the Brad Lidge of the NBA.

Why, you ask? Find out in my new article posted on Sports Central. CLICK HERE to check it out.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled blogging…

For all the talk of what a bunch of whiners the Spurs are, I have never seen a team collectively complain more than the Suns did on Saturday night. Yes, nobody does the wide-eyed “Wasn’t me!” better than my boy Duncan. And no one flops like Ginobili (Man, I wish he’d quit that. He’s too good to be doing that crap). But every time Phoenix missed a shot on Saturday, tears and a temper tantrum ensued. Last week I said I couldn’t think of a more annoying coach than Mustache Mike D’Antoni. It seems his team has taken on his same grating persona.

By the way, Amare Stoudamire is an idiot and I’m sure most of his teammates would agree. You beat the Spurs down in game 2 and promptly fire off some Grade-A bulletin board material saying we’re a dirty team.

Thanks Stouda-whiner… it’s just what we needed. Hope you enjoy watching the Finals from home.

Spurs will win Game 4 at home to take a 3-1 lead and all but end the Suns’ season.

...

Another quick note on this whole "Spurs are Dirty" crap... I would agree some of Bruce Bowen's techniques are questionable. That's why he's in the NBA. To find ways to annoy and get under the skin of the other team.

But since when does one guy's actions make the entire team dirty? I love that this is coming from fans of the same team where Raja Bell absolutely clothes-lined Kobe in the playoffs last year.

How quickly we forget.

...

The Pistons and Cavs finally tasted postseason defeat this weekend thanks to the Bulls and Nets, respectively. Too little, too late for the Bulls. Their season ends on Tuesday. But don’t be surprised if the Nets come back and knock out Cleveland. They’ll tie the series at 2-2 on Monday. From there, I’ll take New Jersey’s experience over the James Gang’s lack thereof.

...

Chicago Bears DT Tank Johnson is now a free man after serving 60 days behind bars. He was originally ordered to serve 120 days, but was let out early for good behavior.

Forgive me if I’m not jumping for joy just yet. With a meeting scheduled this week with new NFL sheriff Roger Goodell, after the hefty suspensions handed down to Pacman Jones and Chris Henry, I’m not so sure we see the Tank suiting up for my Bears anytime soon.

...

Lastly, a quick hit from the “Where Are They Now” department: Former Ohio State star-turned-St. Louis Rams backup QB Joe Germaine currently leads the Arena Football League in passing yards (3,747) and TDs (79) for the Utah Blaze.

And while we’re on the topic of the AFL (for likely the first and last time in That’s What HE Said history), this weekend’s Stat Of the Day…

Colorado Crush WR Damian Harrell has caught a TD in 77 straight games. 77!

They only play 16 games a season here people… that’s a TD in every game of the past 4-plus seasons.

By comparison, the NFL record for most consecutive games with a receiving TD is 13 by Jerry Rice (1986-87).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am neither a fan of the Suns nor the Spurs. Then why am I rooting for the Suns? And why is everyone I know, besides people born within a 100 mile radius of San Antonio(or the owner of this blog eventhough he's never once touched Texas soil), rooting for the Suns? Could it be a simple answer? The Spurs are boring... The Suns are exciting. Could it be that Spurs fans are jackasses? They do act like they have some sort of sense of entitlement, a sense of 'We're the best ever', which is ridiculous and nowhere near the truth. Is it Steve Nash? Is he just plain and simple, a likeable player? Is Tim Duncan? If you ask him, he's never ONCE committed a foul. And I'm not just pointing a finger at Duncan on this one, but why do all NBA players think they can change the mind of the Ref? Has one 'call' in the history of the NBA ever been reversed by the whining of a player? EVER? Well, Tim Duncan sure thinks he's going to be the first. And I don't want to just bash Spurs players... Stoudamire should NOT have made the All NBA 1st team, and Marion is just NOT FUN to watch. Wow, he can be bad. I don't know how he has a double/double every night! And I like Manu and the Frenchman! So my question still remains: How come EVERYBODY is rooting for the Suns?

Anonymous said...

Any player that has ever spent time with the Lakers, ends up being a jackass at some point in his career. Ladies and Gentlemen... I give you... ROBERT HORRY!!!