Thursday, May 31, 2007

Poker Night: Self Destruction (5/31/07)

Who: MJ, Murphy, Alex, Justin, Neil, Marlon, Jamal, Ellner, Blasucci, JK, Billy Britt, Adam Jordan, Raven, EA & Flack

Where: Casa de Bandy/Murphy

Last time around, I wrote it was easily the worst session of cards I had probably ever played in my life, which led to me being first out.

Last night was possible the best 3 hours of cards I have ever played……. followed by a half hour where I turned into a complete donkey and wasted 3 hours of effort in a matter of 2 hands. But we'll get to that in a bit…

The night started with some early fireworks between MJ and JK at the Lucy's pre-poker festivities. JK was on fire – and on the attack – against MJ's game, his children, his heritage and I think even his haircut. Shockingly, JK was actually not drunk yet, so consider it rare form.

Nevertheless, it was fun to watch the two of them argue back and forth sitting at the bar. Just ask Blasucci.

But before we even got to Lucy's, back in the friendly confines of Trailer E, Alex had said he was making his triumphant return to the poker table, however, insisted that he wouldn't rebuy if he was playing like crap.

"Only if I'm playing well and get knocked out late," I think was the quote.

Yeah, so much for that.

Alex played the first 5 hands, each one of which involved a nice size raise and call. He was out in 10 minutes. Rebought, and was out for good 5 minutes later.

Good times.

Can't say much for the other table, but over at our featured table, there were some big swings early.

The chip lead swung back and forth from Bill to Justin to MJ and eventually to yours truly, where it stayed and got REAL big until we hit the final 3. Damn you Murphy!

Hit a huge hand against Ellner early on – GO ROYALS!

I get pocket nines. Blinds are 150/300. I make it 600. Ellner and Bill call. Flop comes 939. Ellner goes all in. Bill folds. I take Ellner's chips with quads.

Can't really say what happened most of the night as I was trying to watch the Spurs game while playing, so we'll fast forward to the final table.

Final table: MJ, EA, Murphy, Neil, Ellner, JK, Marlin, Jamal (Me and Murphy commanding chip leaders)

The line of the night was courtesy of Murphy. He and I get into a hand. I've got 10, 6 spades and end up hitting a flush on the river. Raise it to $2,000. He calls.

"That's cute," he says.

Yeah, I thought so too. Don't worry, you'll get the chips back in about an hour.

Suck out of the night: We're down to 4. Neil raises. Murphy and Jamal fold. I go all in and have Neil well covered. He calls and flips A4. I flip A5. 4 hits the flop. 5 hits the river. We've got our final 3.

At this point, I've got probably about 30,000 in chips. Murphy has about 15,000 and Jamal I'd say about 10,000 (correct me if I'm wrong fellas).

Of course I'm telling myself just wait until Jamal gets into a hand with Murphy before you play anything.

A second shot of tequila later and that all went straight out the window.

I get K5 (5 is a diamond). Flop comes AK3 all diamonds. Murphy goes all in. For the life of me couldn't figure out what to do. I'm thinking he likely has an Ace. I know he doesn't have the flush or he would've sucked me in. I've been running hot all night so figure I'll gamble.

He flips K8 (8 is a diamond). Nothing comes. Chip lead swings to Murphy in a big way.

Couple hands go by with no real outcomes and then the EA implosion.

I get Q3 in small blind. I call the big. Jamal folds. Murphy checks.

Flop comes A34. I check. Murphy checks.

Turn is a 6. I figure I can steal the blinds here… I know Murph doesn't have an Ace and if I put him in for half his stack, its gonna have to be a monster to call. Since he checked the flop, I figure he doesn't have it. I go all in. He calls.

Flips 46. Two pair. River is nothing.

In two hands, I give away 35,000 in chips and am sent home with my tail shoved up my arse. But hey, you try and bluff and bully all night, at some point you're gonna get caught.

Right Jerry K.?

And by the way, I don’t think Jamal played a hand when it went down to three. Nice patience kid. Next time, lend me a little would ya!

Last hand (as told by the night's big winner): Jamal calls the big blind with 99. Murphy checks with 34. Flop comes 5, 4, 2. Jamal bets 3,000. Murphy calls. Turn is a 4. Jamal goes all in. Murphy calls and we've got ourselves a winner.

1st – Murph
2nd – Jamal
3rd – Me

No comments: